In the course of implementing "DW2NAV" as an interface between DocuWare and Microsoft Dynamics NAV, there are always open questions and points.
Please consider the other articles on our knowledge portal for questions e.g. about available versions.
In this FAQ, we compile the important questions - and their answers - for NAV users.
1. WHAT DOES THE INTERFACE DO?
Our interface is an add-on for and based on Microsoft Dynamics NAV, which can be used to connect the DocuWare document management system.
Basically, the functions consist of the following:
- Archiving of self-created documents as PDF from NAV to DocuWare
- Display of documents already in DocuWare via a button in the NAV menu ribbon
- Transfer of data and values of a vendor invoice from DocuWare to NAV in order to create a posting proposal there (e.g. purchase invoice).
2. ON WHAT TECHNICAL BASIS IS THE MODULE DELIVERED?
The module is based on own as well as on adapted objects for Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
3. HOW MANY OBJECTS HAVE BEEN ADAPTED OR ARE NEW AND WILL BE ADDED?
Our interface is based on about 250 customized and new objects. Most of the customized objects are pages. The own objects are in the protected area.
A detailed object list can be found as a file attachment to this article.
(We reserve the right to deviations of the objects due to different NAV versions).
4. HOW IS THE MODULE INTEGRATED?
Via an "object merge" for C/AL systems or via App Extension for Business Central systems with an AL code.
For Business Central Cloud Customer we provide our interface by the Microsoft App Source. Click here to find it.
5. HOW MANY DAYS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE OBJECT MERGE?
On average about 4 days.
If industry solutions are in use, the number given may vary.
6. ARE THERE OTHER ITEMS AND EFFORTS TO CONSIDER?
In all likelihood, yes.
It depends on which IT-specific issues you are responsible for.
The following items could be added:
- Setting up VPN/remote access for applabs.
- Creating users for access in NAV for applabs
- Distributing permissions
- General project management and project support
7. HOW IS THE MODULE ACTIVATED AND LICENSED?
As of today in Germany via the PIN procedure. For this we need the "Partner PIN" and the "Customer PIN", which have to be entered in our online form http://lizenzerweiterung.dw2bc.de.
After receiving all required information, we activate our module for the customer license in the Microsoft portal.
Once the activation and licensing has been successfully completed, the customer license must be downloaded from the Microsoft Portal and re-installed in the customer database.
We will also support the reseller procedure and the partner's activation (requires the signing of a corresponding contract). Please fill out our request form under http://reseller.dw2bc.de . After we have received the information, we will activate you as a reseller and you can independently add our module to the end customer licence.
8. WHAT IS THE PROJECT PROCESS?
We have developed a standardized process based on the many projects we have completed?
(Starting from binding order). Of course, some points can be worked off in parallel.
a. execution of a kick-off workshop
Participants of the workshop are the end customer, the ERP supervisor, the DocuWare supervisor and from our side a NAV/BC developer as well as project manager/consultant.
The goal of the workshop is to clarify open questions and to define the scope of the setup based on the features provided in the standard
b. licensing and activation of the module
See point 6 - we need all the information and then activate the module.
c. delivery of the object packages to the NAV administrator
We deliver an object package for the main version (CU's are not considered) to the NAV system house.
d. object merge by the NAV supervisor (test system)
The NAV administrator performs the object merge and implements our objects into the customer database.
At the beginning of the project the implementation as well as the setup and configuration takes place in the TEST system. See the following point
e. setup and configuration in the test system
As soon as our module is available in the customer's test system, we access the NAV test system via provided remote access and set up the desired functions according to the agreement (workshop) and test them for success.
f. testing by the end customer
The system is handed over to the customer. The customer tests the new functions within the framework of his workflows and issues an acceptance and release.
g. transfer to live system and go live
After release by the customer, the objects are transferred to the live DB by you - the ERP supervisor. We export the configuration from the test system and import it into the live system.
The customer goes live with the solution.
Deviations in the project process are of course possible and are made in mutual agreement.
8. WHO TAKES OVER THE SUPPORT?
We provide support for the interface. We provide any services through our help desk.
9. THE END CUSTOMER HAS A HIGHLY CUSTOMIZED SYSTEM. WHAT ARE THE CUSTOMIZING OPTIONS?
We offer two possible customizings of our interface on a project-specific basis:
- Inclusion of external documents (e.g. from your industry solution) so that they can also be archived to DocuWare via our interface.
- Inclusion of the "Show DocuWare receipt" button on additional pages